Understanding the steps to take if you are in an accident with limited visible property damage can be highly beneficial for avoiding unforeseen hardships and seeking rightful compensation.
The 5 Steps to Take:
- Gather the at-fault driver’s information. Make sure to collect the other driver’s insurance and contact information. Even if limited damages or injuries are present at first glance, do not leave the scene without collecting this information. The other driver’s information will be vital to making a claim if you or your car begins to experience issues.
- Contact the police to file a report at the scene. Contacting the police after an accident is always essential. The reporting officer creates a report that verifies the details of the car wreck. The information in the police report is a critical tool for both insurance companies to determine fault. Plus, you can use it to make sure the person who hit you is held accountable.
- Seek medical attention. Do not refuse medical care if EMS is present at the scene, at least let them check you over for injuries. If they are not present at the scene, it could be prudent to pay a visit to a medical professional. A multitude of physical and emotional injuries caused by accidents are not immediate or obvious. Especially if there is no visible vehicle damage, doctor’s reports can provide the necessary evidence for building a case.
- Double-check your vehicle for damage. Some damages to your car may not be immediately observable, so be sure to take a second look. The undercarriage and interior of the vehicle could be damaged. This is especially true in wrecks involving trucks with steel hitches. These car wrecks usually leave limited visible property damage. Still, the force of the impact is directly on the frame, which can cause a significant effect that is transferred to the occupants of the vehicle, causing them injury.
- Consult an attorney. A car accident without visible vehicle damage is an uphill battle. Still, an experienced attorney can bear the burden and assist you in recovering what was lost.
Have Questions? Contact Us
Operating the aftermath of a car accident can be a tiring task. If you would like someone else to assist you through the process, please give us a call. You will receive a 100% free consultation with an attorney, and if we don’t win, you don’t pay us a fee. If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, please do not hesitate to call Dixie Law Group at 502-290-2397.
Dixie Law Group, PSC – A Neighborhood Personal Injury Law Firm